Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2015

12. October 2014 - Iquique >> IQQ >> Calheta Buena

First try of the take-off next to the Alto Hospicio flags. There are also two benches to prepare the flightstuff nicer than in the dust. I fly south to the airport first and return, passing Iquique, towards lands end. There the conditions look very compelling and although I do not carry enough water with me, nor enough food and the batteries of my devices are closer to empty than to full I make the mistake to go on in the anticipation to reach Calheta Camarones or at least Pisaqua - what an idiotic decision - never will do this again to leave save territory without appropriate preparation of essential equipment, food and water ! First I get rewarded with an airliner like flight in front or even above the condensate of the coast. At Punta Guaneras it turns into blue sky. It is the point, where I should turn around, but I do not. The following three Calhetas, ending in Calheta Buena are just blue, no condensate and no meaningful uplifts. I flee forward, but this time I do not get rewarded and end on the beach. O.K., thats it - at least for today. I take a bath in the ocean, play with crabs and starfish and as the day turns down and the sun is not heating the surface so much any more I start walking uphill, as I know a perfect launch up there, as I did flying in Calheta Buena from time to time in former years. Sleeping bag, down cloth, air mattress are with me. Tomorrow I will proceed to Pisaqua - Camarones or back to Iquique, whatever …